Site Name: Princess Plaza
Name and Address:
- Site Address: 601 West Hastings
- Closest Street Intersection: Hastings and Seymour
- Local Area: Downtown
- Neighbourhood: CBD
- Latitude: 49.28484963
- Longitude: -123.1128793
Description: A mixture of open-space and covered public space. The site is primarily defined by a heavy, domed structure – open at ground level. The site offers one of the few weatherproof public spaces in downtown. A significant change in grade exists between north and south ends of the site – necessitating a sizeable flight of stairs at then north end.
Components: Atrium; Edge space
Year Built: 1982
Ownership status: Private
History Notes: The atrium/plaza was built in 1982, as part of the development of the adjascent Princess Building. In 2014, a proposal was submitted to the City of Vancouver to redevelop the building into a larger office tower. This rezoning was approved in 2015.
Key Events, Usage in History, Timeline:
- 1980s – constructed
- 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 – VPSN informal event programming to activate the space (primarily on Halloween); 2014 Rezoning application seeks to redevelop site.
- 2015 Rezoning application approved.
Locational Context: The atrium dome is located SE of the Princess Building, an 11-storey office tower. Surrounding context includes other office and retail uses. To the east: SFU’s downtown campus.
Site Orientation: Various; primarily south and east
- Area: Total site: approx 600m2
- Dimensions: Total site (including dome) approx 15m x 40m
- Solar exposure/shading considerations: Covered space.
- Weather Proofing: Yes.
- Surface Treatment and Materials: Hard surfaced.
Furniture and Amenities:
- Formal Seating: Yes – several steel benches
- Informal Seating: Yes. Planter ledges provide additional seating. Also, stairs to the north end
- Waste or Recycling Disposal: Yes.
- Lighting: The interior of the dome is lit via 20 lights.
- Landscaping: Several large planters are built into the plaza space – helping to define the space and, through terracing, moderate the change in grade.
- Other items of note: Ash tray containers.
Security: Site has CCTV cameras inside.
- Transit: Accessible via HAstings Street bus routes. Approx 1 block south from Waterfront Station (SkyTrain, Canada Line, SeaBus).
- Universal Design: Accessible at grade along southern edge. Eastern and southern edges have stairs.
General Usage or Observational data: The space is used informally, and in relatively low numbers. Often a spot for smokers, or people taking a break.
Typology: Enclosed Space – Atrium
- Timestamp: 24/11/2014 18:55:35
- Time of evaluation: 0.125
- Weather during evaluation: N/A