350 eARTh: A public art exhibit large enough to be seen from space
Sunday, November 21st @ 9:30am-11:30am
VPSN is partnering with 350.org to take public art to a whole new (atmospheric) level. For the first time in history Vancouver will be taking a place in a global art exhibit to show how climate change is affecting the planet and demonstrate public support for creative solutions to climate change.
People in Cairo, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Reykjavik, Bejing, Mumbai and 14 other cities will gather to create massive public art installations on the eve of the United Nations climate meetings in Cancun, Mexico where delegates will be working to create an international climate treaty. Every site will create large, unique formations that will be captured on camera by air and by satellite.
If you’re planning to join the fun, please let us know by filling out this form and taking the time to also RSVP on Facebook.
** Please plan to join us at David Lam Park promptly at 9:30am and plan to stay until 11:30am. Because we don't control the satellite, folks MUST show up on time and stay until 11am to ensure the image will be ready to be shot by the time the satellite passes overhead.
3 THINGS YOU NEED TO HAVE FUN AT EARTH ART
1. An umbrella! This is KEY to the art piece -- plus, it’s worth noting that it is November and it’s liable to be cool and wet. Please check the weather forecast before coming out and dress appropriately.
2. Green! If your umbrella isn't already green, grab anything green (a jacket, a blanket, etc) that can be used to drape over your umbrella.
3. Friends! The more the people, the bigger and brighter the image. Tell your friends they can sign-up here.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
1. Volunteer! Want to help coordinate the people that will make up this massive art installation? Email our Volunteer Coordinator Erin O'Melinn at erin [at] vancouverpublicspace.ca
2. Spread the word! Do you report, blog, tweet, Facebook, or do that old-fashioned talking-directly-to-people thing? If so, help us get people out to the event and tuned in to see the images when they’re availble. If you’re missing information, or would like to interview an organizer or participant please email our Communications Co-Coordinator, Michaela Montaner at michaela [at] vancouverpublicspace.ca.
3. Be and organizing partner! This is a collaborative event to celebrate public space and inspire people and politicians to think creatively about climate change solutions. We are looking for organizational partners to help spread this message and get people out to the event on the 21st. If your organization would like to work with us to promote this message and event please email Event Lead Jaspal Marwah at jaspal [at] vancouverpublicspace.ca to find out how you can help.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
SUPPORT FOR THIS PROJECT IS GENEROUSLY PROVIDED BY: