Spaces for History & Culture: Black History Month 2020
- The following Dannielle Piper article in The Tyee looks at the history of Black neighbourhoods in Metro Van.
- Wayde Compton, a driving force behind the Hogan’s Alley Memorial Project, has written extensively on this area. For much of the 20th c, Hogan’s Alley was at the heart Vancouver’s Black community in Strathcona. A good overview can be found here.
- For those interested in a deeper dive into Hogan’s Alley, check out the following study guide put together by the Vancouver Public Library.
- Be sure to follow the fantastic work of the Hogan’s Alley Society on twitter and Facebook. (Sidenote: These fine folks put on some great block parties last summer!)
- One more Hogan’s Alley item – this time a recent video put together called “Return to Hogan’s Alley.”
- For those interested in a broader geographic perspective on local Black history and culture, be sure to check out the work of the BC Black History Awareness Society (BCBHAS).